Featured Post

New Rules

1. No fake news.  2. No politics.  3. No religion.  All such post will be deleted. All old post that broke these rule have been removed.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Breaking the shackles of oppression....

I have freed myself from the golden-handcuffs and resigned from Goldman Sachs. Letting you know so as to avoid rumors floating around. Suspect you are asking yourself two questions: 1. Why and 2. What are you going to do.

1. Why - Goldman is an amazing firm and the professional opportunites it's provided have been phenom. However, it's also meant 15 hour days, not seeing Asha except on weekends and a miserable existance in Bangalore this past year (life wise). I took some time in early Dec to reflect upon where I was with my life, where i wanted to be etc. I also had an opportunity to meet Peter Hillary (Edmund Hillary's son) during that time and he shared some thoughts that struck a chord with me. Someone asked him what he wanted his legacy to be, given that he had such a famous father. His reply was that he wasn't worried about a legacy, as most people tend to forget things over time. His focus as a parent was on his family and children, who looked to him for support and protection. And most importantly you have to live life for yourself. I realized that I hadn't really been doing that. While we had a great life materially, we didn't have much else. Pris and I came to the conclusion that we'd actually been happier living a modest life in Singapore, but spending more time together. Money does bring a certain amount of stability, but it cannot truly provide happiness. So that is the why.

2. What - no idea yet. We will be relocating back to Singapore sometime in March. We've purchased a 3 bedroom flat (if we can get to closing) and are looking forward to life in civilization again. No jobs lined up at this point (yes, I saved/planned for this contingency) though we have a few good options in the works at the moment. We also considered moving to Idaho and living with Trumie until we worked out a job, but decided to spare him ;-)

Pris is due late April, so we're trying to figure out move details, where we'll live in the interim etc. Very hectic and busy at the moment, but we are looking forward to the change.

1 comment:

BS and the Kids said...

I am sorry it has taken you this long to figure that out. I think that is what the church tries to teach is in not such a come out and say it way. I hope this works better for you and your cute family.